The final stage on the way to obtaining the coveted diploma of higher education is the preparation and defense of the thesis. The final qualification work (WQ) must show the student’s readiness for independent professional activity. After successful defense, the bachelor, if desired, can enter the magistracy. After another two years of study, the graduate will have to prepare a master’s thesis – an independent research work.
We have described in detail the differences in studying at bachelor’s, specialty and master’s degrees here.
So, what is the difference between a thesis and a master’s thesis? This question is asked by many students in their final years of study. Before making an important decision on admission to a master’s program, you should figure out what to expect from additional education and thesis defense. But first, let’s take a closer look at the essence of training in undergraduate and graduate programs.
This is the first step in the higher education system. Graduates of secondary school or secondary specialized educational institutions can enter the university. At the end of 4-5 years of study at the university, students take state exams, and also write and defend graduation projects.
The last and decisive stage on the way to obtaining basic higher education is writing a thesis. This is a rather voluminous project, which should prove the student’s readiness for independent decision-making in their professional field. It is assumed that the thesis should prove to the commission the graduate’s ability to apply in practice the knowledge gained during the years of study at the university.
A bachelor is a graduate of a higher education institution. As a rule, the basic training program includes a relatively small number of disciplines without a narrow specialization. After receiving a basic higher education, already yesterday’s student may have a desire to continue developing in the chosen path and enter a higher level of education.
This is the next step in the higher education system, the opportunity to get an initial academic degree. One of the main conditions for admission to a master’s program is a diploma of basic higher education. After two years of study, the student will again have to prepare the final qualifying work, but of a higher level.
Large-scale scientific work, which borders on the thesis project and Ph.D. thesis. In structure, it resembles a diploma study, is its continuation, a more detailed version with an in-depth study of the topic. After writing and successfully defending the dissertation, the author is awarded an academic master’s degree.
What is a Master’s Degree for a young and inexperienced specialist? First of all, it is an opportunity to improve their qualifications and increase the chances of getting a prestigious and highly paid position.
Differences between the thesis and the master’s thesis
Thesis and master’s thesis are two different types of graduation work, similar to each other, but having fundamental differences. If, after defending your diploma, you receive a bachelor’s degree or a specialist’s qualification, then after defending your thesis you will be awarded an honorary master’s degree. Other differences between a diploma and a dissertation include the following:
- Teachers usually help to write thesis, chasing after students and adjusting with each chapter. In the magistracy, the situation is much more serious. All responsibility for obtaining an academic degree rests entirely with the student. Prepare to learn everything you didn’t want to learn during your undergraduate studies.
- If the volume of the thesis usually does not exceed 80-100 pages, then the dissertation can take as many as 200 pages.
- Diploma and dissertation differ in scope and depth of research. Thesis is an extended version of the thesis project with a more detailed study of the topic and author’s developments. In his master’s work, the author must offer his own thoughts about solving specific problems or suggestions for improving the considered processes.
- The degree of concretization of the subject and object of research is another significant difference. In the undergraduate program, the object of research is specified as much as possible so that the student does not climb into the scientific jungle and, as a result, does not completely leave the task at hand. Writing a thesis involves an independent definition of the subject and object of your work.
- Do not worry that you will be left to fend for yourself and left alone with your master’s thesis. As in the case of the thesis, here you will be assisted by a supervisor. Such a responsible role is entrusted to a specialist with a scientific degree. But an associate professor or a senior lecturer of the department usually helps to write a diploma.
- Preparation of a thesis involves the study of up to 100 authoritative scientific sources with the obligatory provision of a bibliographic list. When writing a master’s study, such a list may include 200 or even 300 sources.
A master’s degree opens up many more prospects for a young professional. Between a candidate with a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree candidate, in most cases, the employer will prefer the second. On the other hand, spending two years on training without practical application of the knowledge gained is rather reckless. That is why most graduate students try to combine study with work.
If, due to a busy work schedule and training, you have absolutely no time to prepare a dissertation, it does not matter! You can always order a master’s work or a part of it from an experienced and qualified specialist on the best price tutors website. Concentrate on gaining real practical experience in your field, and entrust your scientific work to a professional.