What are the major complications of prolonged immobility and what are the nursing interventions that could be used to prevent each?
Your written assignment for this module should be a 2-3 page paper (not including title page and reference page) that addresses the following case study:
The patient is a 23-year old man who sustained a C-7 fracture during a skiing accident. He is being transferred from the medical-surgical unit to the inpatient rehabilitation unit. He has family in the area and they have been supportive throughout his stay. His mother, in particular, has spent many hours at the bedside and expresses a willingness to take him home and continue his care once his hospital and rehab treatment are completed. The patient has lost approximately 18 lbs. during his hospital stay and demonstrates a weak non-productive cough. He had been actively participating with physical therapy and occupational therapy, but he is currently discouraged and withdrawn.
- What deficits would be expected in a patient with a C7 fracture?
- What are the major complications of prolonged immobility and what are the nursing interventions that could be used to prevent each?
- Why is this patient at risk for pneumonia and what are the nursing interventions that could be used to help prevent this complication?
- Describe the essential elements of a bladder retraining program?
- What nursing interventions would assist the patient with SCI with psychosocial adaptation?
You should include a minimum of 3 references. Include a title page, in-text citations, and a reference page in APA format.