The Discussion Board (DB) is part of the core of online learning. Classroom discussion in an online environment requires the active participation of students and the instructor to create robust interaction and dialogue. Every student is expected to create an original response to the open-ended DB question as well as engage in dialogue by responding to posts created by others throughout the week. At the end of each unit, DB participation will be assessed based on both level of engagement and the quality of the contribution to the discussion.
At a minimum, each student will be expected to post an original and thoughtful response to the DB question and contribute to the weekly dialogue by responding to at least two other posts from students. The first contribution must be posted before midnight (Central Time) on Friday of each week. Two additional responses are required after Friday of each week. Students are highly encouraged to engage on the Discussion Board early and often, as that is the primary way the university tracks class attendance and participation.
The purpose of the Discussion Board is to allow students to learn through sharing ideas and experiences as they relate to course content and the DB question. Because it is not possible to engage in two-way dialogue after a conversation has ended, no posts to the DB will be accepted after the end of each week.
You are an experienced consultant tasked with mentoring junior consultants in your area of expertise as part of your company’s new hire orientation program. The Junior consultant you are working with has a few questions for you. Please share your experience and wisdom in response to the following questions:
- What are the best practices and standards in your area that you think are important, and why?
- What are the expectations of you when you are working on a project, in your area of expertise?
- What do you believe make you successful when working on a project, in your area of expertise?
- What are best practices for working effectively and efficiently in a project team environment?
Be sure to specify your area of expertise in your main post.
In your own words, please post a response to the Discussion Board and comment on other postings. You will be graded on the quality of your postings.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.
Assignment CriteriaProficient DescriptorPoints
Quality of Main Post
Student’s main post meets or exceeds the following requirements:
• Responds completely to all of parts of discussion question. (6 points)
• Communicates content information accurately and/or logically (5 points)
• Delivers a thoughtful response demonstrating insights and reflections (5 points)
• Connects to both key content concepts and personal experiences (5 points)
Response to Peers
Responds to a minimum of 2 peers. (10 points per response)
o Substantive response (5 points)
o Furthers the conversation with peers. Examples could include: (5 points)
- Provides additional resources
- Connects to key concepts
- Shares personal or professional experiences
- Contributes new information or perspective
- Presents a competing viewpoint
Support from Learning Resources
At least one post refers to course learning resources/4 pts.
Response is well-organized, clear and free of grammatical and mechanical errors.
Posts demonstrate courtesy and respect for others.
/5 pts.Total50 Points Possible/50 pts.