Research Review Directions
HDF 100WI-Fall 2022
Due dates: 1st Draft due October 13 by 11:59pm on Bb (10 points)
Final Copy due on October 27 by 11:59pm on Bb (90 points) (refer to the syllabus regarding late work)
Assignment length: A minimum of 4 to 5 pages, 12 pt. Times New Roman, double-spaced, normal margins (1â€ all around). Must use APA style.
The purpose of this assignment is to help you become familiar with and review a research article. We have discussed the research process in class and now you will have the opportunity to read about actual research and how it contributes to the larger body of knowledge. Please choose one of the following articles to read and write about. You may also use the search engine for CMU libraries to choose a different article related to a subject of your choosing. Please confirm with me that the article qualifies as original research before proceeding to use if for the assignment. The following articles are found under the â€œResourcesâ€ tab on Bb.
Examining the Relationship between Helicopter Parenting and Emerging Adultsâ€™ Mind sets Using the Consolidated Helicopter Parenting Scale
Examining social adjustment to college in the age of social media
A cross-sectional analysis of video games and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder symptoms in adolescents
Middle School Studentsâ€™ Social Media Use
Rates of peer victimization in young adolescents with ADHD and associations with internalizing symptoms and selfâ€esteem
Mothersâ€™ and fathersâ€™ parenting styles and associations with toddlersâ€™ externalizing, internalizing, and adaptive behaviors
Mothersâ€™ mental distress and parenting practices with infants and toddlers
Psychosocial Factors Promoting Personal Growth Throughout
Your review paper should include the following components:
1. A title page:
– Include your name, class identification (i.e., HDF 100WI, T/Th 2:00 pm) and professorâ€™s name
1. Clearly introduce the topic of your article.
2. You should start with a broad opening statement about the general topic of the review article. Add a minimum few sentences about why this topic is relevant, interesting, important, etcâ€¦ . End the paragraph with a statement along the lines of, â€œThis paper will review the information contained in (name of article) followed by Citation of the article being reviewed (Use APA format when writing the citation.)
Citing the article the first time would include: (ALL authorsâ€™ last names (with initials listed), year of publication.)
*If you look at the end of this writing assignment, you will see a sample of citing for the Reference Page. If someone were using that article, the first full cite in the intro would be:
(Phillips, D. A., Fox, N. A., & Gunnar, M. R., 2011.)
You should address each of these sections below which are identified in bold face headings as separate paragraphs. You should read the article and paraphrase the information found in the article to address all of the information requested below. Because you are only focused on the one article, you can just cite that article at the end of each paragraph contained in the body. Citing will generally include (Last name of author (or authors if there are two authors, year of article.).
IF there are several authors, the citing would be (Last name of first author et al., year.)
*Example based on above cite: (Phillips et al., 2011)
IF you use a direct quote (you should do this only on a limited basis) the citation should immediately follow and will follow the above format, however the page number rather than the year will be used in the citation.)
1. What are the research questions or hypotheses? If not clearly stated; what is the inferred/implied hypothesis? (In other words, you can make a guess if they are not stated in the article)
2. What variables were the authors investigating and what were the relationships between variables (e.i. poverty and academic success).
3. What type of sample was used? (e.g. Was it chosen randomly or by convenience? How was the sample identified? What were the demograph ics of the population(sample) being studied? (age, gender, socioeconomic status, ethnicity, etc.)
5. What type of methods was used for this research? (Was it qualitative or quantitative, experimental, correlational, case study, naturalistic observation, survey, longitudinal or cross sectional?) How was data collected? Did the authors use questionnaires, observations, surveys or interviews? If it was an experimental design, what variables were manipu lated and what treatment/s did the experimental and control groups use?
6. Overall, what were the findings?
a. Include statistical data most relevant to the research questions/state ments or hypothesis (did the data confirm the hypotheses or relationships in the research question/s or not?). You do not have to report on detailed statistics, but rather significance of correlations either supporting or failing to support the questions.
4. Personal Analysis:
1. Write a minimum of one page identifying and citing examples of the reciprocal influences between the sample of individuals in this study and their
social environments (i.e. What is the potential impact of the individuals in the study on their families, friends, schools, neighborhood work (Microsystems) and how might these environments influence them. What are some potential policy implications from the study in terms of how it could impact different
microsystems.) You should basically envision how Bronfenbrennerâ€™s model of systems might look at the topic/results of this study in terms of the five different systems.
1. Briefly restate important aspects of the study and the strengths and weaknesses of it (identified by the authors along with your own thoughts about weaknesses and what would make the study stronger)
2. Provide implications (suggestions) for future research and/or practice (Your own ideas as well as those of the author/s)
6. Reference Page:
You need to include a reference page at the end of your paper. â€œReferencesâ€ should be centered at the top of the page and you can use the format below in the Sample APA reference as a guide (you can basically just plug your information into that format).
*FOR this assignment, it is likely that your reference page will only include the article you are reviewing, unless you use some other source for your introduction.
APA (American Psychological Association) Style Assistance
Sample for citing on Reference page in APA style:
Phillips, D. A., Fox, N. A., & Gunnar, M. R. (2011). Same place, different experiences: Bringing individual differences to research in child care. Child Development Perspectives, 5, 44-49. doi:10.1111/j.1750-8606.2010.00155.x
Â· Authorâ€™s names listed in the order they appear on the article
o Last name, first initial, middle initial
Â· Year in parentheses
Â· Article title â€“ only capitalize the very first word of the title and the first word after the colon, if applicable
Â· Journal title â€“ italicized
Â· Volume number â€“ italicized.
o Include the journal issue number along with the volume number for journals that are paginated separately by issue (i.e., each issue starts on page 1). Ex: Volume 14 Issue 3 would be 14(3)
o You do not need to include the issue number if the journal is not paginated separately by issue.
Â· Page numbers
Â· Doi number â€“ there is no space between the colon and the start of the numbers
o The doi number is typically found at the top or bottom of the first
o page of your article. Note that not all articles have doi numbers.
APA Style Resources:
http://www.apastyle.org/ Link to the official American Psychological Association website
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/ Link to Purdue Universityâ€™s information site about APA style
Also, PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO USE THE WRITING CENTER AT THE LIBRARY FOR ASSISTANCE AT ANY STAGE OF THE ASSIGNMENT 🙂