Your essay draft should be a complete draft of your research-based essay. Make sure to follow all of the guidelines below as you work on the draft. Note that this draftâ€™s length is slightly shorter than your final draftâ€™s length will be (1000 words for this draft, 1500 for the final draft) and draftll be (1000 words for this draft, 1500 for the ch-based essay. Make sure to follow all of the guidelines below as you the minimum source requirements are slightly lower for your draft than your final (5 for this draft, 7 for your final draft). Despite these length and requirement differences, your draft should still be a complete essay, with an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion.
Guidelines for Essay Draft:
- Your essay draft must have a fully developed introduction and conclusion. The introduction should set up the larger context for your topic, and its final sentence should be an argumentative thesis statement that provides direction for your essay as a whole. Your conclusion should restate that argument, and it should provide the reader with any final thoughts on the subject, tying together any of the points from your essay that need to be tied together.
- Your essayâ€™s body paragraphs should provide the reader with a point-by-point analysis of your larger argument. Support the argument that you establish in the introduction with clear, specific points that are supported in turn by specific source-based evidence.
- You should use your outline as a guide for constructing the essay. Please take into account any comments from me on your outlines as you write your essay.
- All factual information that is not common knowledge must come from a source.
- All sources must be properly documented. This includes ANY information that comes from ANY source, whether it is directly quoted, paraphrased, or summarized. Failure to accurately cite your sources in text and on the Works Cited page WILL result in a failing grade for plagiarism.
- Your essay draft should be a minimum of 1000 words, excluding the Works Cited page. If your essay is not 1000 words in length, you will receive a 0 on the assignment.
- All essays must be typed following MLA style requirements. They must be double spaced in Times New Roman font size 12. Margins should be set to one inch on all sides.
- You should center your title after the heading. It should give your reader a clear idea of not only what your topic is but also what your argument about that topic is.
- Your essay must incorporate a minimum of five sources. All five sources must be scholarly in nature. Talk to me if you need help identifying scholarly sources. Including non-scholarly sources will adversely affect your grade.
- If you have questions please ask me before the essay draft is due. I do not accept â€œI didnâ€™t know how to do it,â€ as an excuse after an essay is turned in. If you have questions it if your responsibility to come talk to me. Feel free to email me at any time with any questions you may have.